Creating Deliverables using Microsoft Project Professional and Project site

Hello again!!!

I’ve seen lots of users having difficulty to create and sync deliverables.

So, today I’ll show you how to do it using Microsoft Project Professional and Project Site.

IMPORTANT: You will only be able to add or update Deliverables in your plan when you are connected to Project Web App and have published the project and created a workspace site.

So, let’s start it. I’ll show you different ways to do this.

First Option:

• Open your Plan in Microsoft Project Professional and select the tasks that you want to create the deliverables.
  • After click on “Create Deliverables” you’ll see the icon.  icondeliverable

• If you open the SharePoint site you will see the same deliverables created. (Go to File -> Info and click on SharePoint Site link).
  • To sync you need to select the deliverable in your plan and click on Sync Deliverables.

Second Option:

• You can use the option Manage Deliverables (Ribbon Tasks -> Click on Deliverable -> Manage Deliverable). You will see a new tab in the Microsoft Project Professional and you can create Deliverables using the option “Add new deliverable…“. Using this option, you can select only one task per time.

• Select “Link to the selected task” and click Done.

• If you open the SharePoint site, you will see the same deliverables created. (Go to File -> Info and click on SharePoint Site link).

Third Option:

• You can create Deliverables directly from the Project site (workspace) and then if you want, you can link to a task in your Plan.
  • I’ve created 2. ( Manually Deliverable 1 and 2).

• Now, go to the Project Plan. You need to sync the Deliverables and then you’ll be able to see the new Deliverables created.
  • To sync you can click on Deliverable and Sync. This sync only shows the Deliverables created in the Project Site. If you have changed the dates, you need to select the deliverable in your plan and then Sync.

• or if you are using the option Manage Deliverable you need to click on Get updates. syncupdatesmanagedeliverables
  • Now the deliverables were Synchronized and there is an Alert, informing that this deliverable only exists on the server.

• You can edit this deliverable and assign to one task.

• And now when you sync again, the Manually Deliverable 1 will receive the dates and the name from task “Add a login for the report authors group

• Deliverable has been renamed in Project Site

and that’s it.

Take advantage of all the features of Project Online and Microsoft Project Professional !!!

See you soon

#ProActive  #JoinUs

Diego Pereira

13 comments for “Creating Deliverables using Microsoft Project Professional and Project site

1. prakash viswanathan
    28/06/2017 at 17:20

Is it possible to view all project deliverables in a single page like “issues and risk”?

• 28/06/2017 at 17:44

Hi Prakash, you can see using the Deliverables list accessing the project site.

2. Jesse Vaught
    15/07/2017 at 01:23

Is it possible to mark a deliverable as complete, or “delivered”?

• 17/07/2017 at 08:39

Hi Jesse yes, after you synchronize all deliverables with the Project Professional you can inform the % Complete for each deliverable. Just insert the column % Complete if the column is not visible and inform 100%.

3. Marcelo
    13/11/2017 at 19:56

Hi Diego,

I did all the procedure synchronizing the PWA and Project Professional in order to get the deliverable icon available in the PWA gantt. However, I can’t watch it in the PWA, but it appears in the project professional.

Can you help me ?.

• 14/11/2017 at 09:24

Hi Marcelo, if I understood correctly, you want to see the deliverable icon on PWA (Gant Chart) am I right? That’s is not possible, when you create deliverables using Project Profession you’ll be able to see them on the Project Site or Project Professional.
      What you can do – Create a new PDP and show the Deliverables from the Project Site using scripts, in this way you don’t need to go to the Project Site or Project Professional to see the deliverables, also you can do the same for Issues and Risks and any other list or custom list.

• Marcelo
        14/11/2017 at 12:08

Hi Diego,

Thanks for the reply. But that kind of configuration is too advanced for me.

The tips posted in the forum are very useful . Keep going on!.

4. Archie
    15/12/2017 at 03:48

Would this function allow us to change the relationship of the dependencies (same thing with Successor and predecessors, FS, SS, FF etc)? Appreciate your response

• 21/12/2017 at 09:51

Hi Archie,
      No, you can change only the dates (Start and Finish) for each deliverable then the dates will be synchronized with the Schedule if you have created the deliverables from the Project Professional Desktop.

5. Mike
    21/12/2017 at 18:10

Hi Diego,

I have been experiencing some issues with using deliverables and wanted to see if you have seen similar behavior (and if you had done anything to resolve). See the link below for a post with more details, but I am able to “create” and “sync” deliverables without issue; however, when I click “Manage Deliverables” (and it brings up the left side pane), it starts throwing errors like “internal error occurred”, “could not checkin project”, etc. I then have to clear my credentials (using “Manage Accounts”) and I am able to work with my project again. However, the same thing happens the next time I click “Manage Deliverables”.

Have you experienced an issue like this before? I am on the most current update of Project Professional 2016 and using Project Online.

Again, here is the blog post where I asked for help in the Microsoft Network:

Thank you!

• 22/12/2017 at 08:45

Hi Michael, my colleague had one customer with this problem. The solution was open a Ticket with Microsoft. Let me check with him what Microsoft did or suggested to fix the problem and I will return to you

• Mike
        05/01/2018 at 03:58

Thank you, Diego! In the meantime, I actually have opened a ticket with Microsoft, but they have been unable to resolve the issue. I would love to hear the fix that worked for your colleague.

• 16/01/2018 at 21:23

Hi Mike, the problem was solved with an update. We opened a ticket and the solution was fixed with a new update released by Microsoft. So you should verify your Project Desktop and see if there are updates to be applied.